8.05.2008

on vaccination.....

{ photo credit}

Where do you go to have your baby vaccinated? Do you go to the private clinic and let the pediatrician do it for your baby or you just go and fall in line in the barangay health center?

For me, money wise I think it is more reasonable to have it only in the health center. But based on my observations health center where flooded with lots of patients that resulted to have shortage in the vaccines. Some health workers also have favoritism on who they want to be vaccinated first that is usually in favors to their relatives.

So for my baby’s vaccination needs I preferred it to be done by the pediatrician in their private clinic. As a first time mom, I mostly relied on the pediatrician’s advice. I am more comfortable to have my baby vaccinated by a professional or by the person who have a special knowledge about it. I also save my time from falling in line waiting to be served.

I am not after the money but I am after the safety of my unica hija. I know prevention is better than cure.

I am so lucky that the pediatrician I got for K.A. never gets tired explaining to me about every vaccine she needs to inject to K.A. nor never get tired answering all my questions concerning the health of my baby. She even offered to me free consultations over the phone or text messages most especially in times of emergency.

She also told me before hand, “ang bakuna pinag-iipunan”. With a lot of vaccines that my baby should undergo, I really need to keep myself prepared financially.

I also did some research about every vaccine that she injected and needs to be injected to my baby.

To name some of the vaccines, we have the Hepatitis vaccine, the Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine against tuberculosis, the PENTA vaccine that is used to prevent five diseases which are the diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), Haemophilus Influenza type b (DPT-Hib) and Poliomyelitis (polio), the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines and the Invasive Pneumococcal Disease (IPD) vaccine.

But the IPD vaccine in particular caught my attention. Not only because it is very expensive but also because I never heard it before so I really don’t have any idea what does it mean. I talked to some of my neighbors who are also a mother themselves about it but they tend to asked me back same question.

K.A. was scheduled to have it this coming October. So I really need to know about it before her schedule come. As my own policy, ignorance is not a valid reason or excuse for any mistake that I may have.

Google as usual rescued me. I found this article from sun star cebu. It was stated there that the Invasive Pneumococcal Disease (IPD) is a deadly disease caused by a common bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae, which can attack different parts of the body. To read the whole article, just click this link.

I am learning a lot of things from my own experience. But I know I still have to learn more about parenting.

Wika nga, marami pa akong kakaining bigas!

No comments:

My Yellow Roses

  I already told you that roses are my favorite flowers.  They lighten up my mood. I love how they look like and I love their scents. Look a...